Connect with us

Articles

Scores of migrants drown off Libyan coast after smugglers’ boat sinks

Published

on

migrants drown off Libyan coast

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has said 64 migrants drowned off the coast of Libya over the weekend after the flimsy people smugglers’ boat they were crammed onto sank soon after launching.

Eighty-six people were rescued from the Mediterranean by the Italian coastguard after the rubber dinghy started to sink just hours after it had set off from the northern coast of the North African country on Saturday morning.

On its Twitter feed, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) described how survivors clung to the wreckage of the sinking vessel while the bodies of their fellow travellers, some of whom were family members, floated in the water around them.

“Among them there were many children who are believed to have drowned at sea,” the NGO said.

“Among the survivors was a three-year-old child who has lost her mother and arrived alone, and a family of 11 now a family of three.”

Specially-trained Italian divers were deployed to help pluck migrants from the ocean, before a recuse boat took survivors to Catania in Sicily.

The bodies of eight women were pulled out of the water, while at least a further 56 migrants were thought to have vanished beneath the waves.

The migrants on the boat came from the Cameroon, Gambia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone, according the IOM and UNHCR.

A plane patrolling the seas on behalf of an EU anti-smuggling operation spotted the boat was in trouble on Saturday morning, and alerted rescue boats to the plight of those on board.

It is believed the dinghy began to sink after sustaining a puncture, which may have occurred due to the vessel being overloaded with passengers.

People smuggling gangs often send migrants across the Mediterranean in flimsy boats they know have no hope of reaching the shores of Europe on the assumption they will be intercepted by rescue ships patrolling the ocean.

The tragedy represented the first major loss of migrants attempting to reach Europe this year.

In a statement, the boss of MSF’s Italian mission Tommaso Fabbri slammed EU authorities for attempting to prevent migrants leaving Libya.

“Only by opening legal, secure, stable and sustainable routes for those seeking protection will it be possible to prevent desperate people putting their own and their children’s destinies in the hands of traffickers,” he said.

Separately, a migrant mother has described to the Independent how she watched her son drown after her family was forced onto a flimsy boat by Libyan people smugglers.

Marie-Michelle, a Christian from Cameroon, explained how she had pleaded with traffickers to allow her to return to Algeria with her son and daughter on the night they were crammed onto an overcrowded flimsy rubber boat in the dead of night.

Continue Reading

Articles

Woman arrested in Malaysia for attempting to smuggle heroin hidden in durian fruit

Published

on

heroin hidden in durian fruit

Customs officers at a Malaysian airport have arrested a woman for attempting to smuggle 6.13kgs of heroin worth an estimated RM953,529 ($227,900) out of the country concealed inside frozen durian fruits, according to a report from Malaysian state-run news agency Bernama.

Police arrested the 34-year-old woman after border security workers at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang found the drug-stuffed fruit hidden among 20 Styrofoam boxes at a cargo centre where it was waiting to be transported to Hong Kong.

Datuk Zulkarnain Mohamed Yusuf, the Central Zone Customs Assistant Director General, said the fruit had been hollowed out before being filled with heroin.

“Four of them were found to contain white lumps of suspected heroin wrapped in translucent plastic inside the fruit,” he said during a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur Customs Complex in Kelana Jaya.

Yusuf said his officers acted after receiving intelligence about the smuggling plot, and moved to arrest the woman suspected of being behind the shipment after her details were found on the shipping manifesto.

The woman, who was remanded in custody for five days on suspicion of drug trafficking, could face the death penalty if she is convicted of attempting to smuggle heroin.

Durian fruit, which is renowned for the pungent aroma it gives off, is popular in Malaysia and Indonesia, and is finding a growing number of admirers in countries including China and Hong Kong.

Earlier this month, FlightGlobal reported that an Air Canada flight was forced to make an emergency landing due to the smell given off by a shipment of durians.

Hiding large consignments of illicit narcotics has become a popular smuggling method among drug traffickers across the globe.

In August, Chinese government-funded news agency Xinhua reported that Bulgarian customs officers had discovered almost 76kgs of cocaine said to be worth nearly $3 million concealed inside a shipment of fruit in the port city of Burgas.

Elsewhere, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced in February that its investigators had found over half a tonne of cocaine estimated to be worth more than $19 million hidden inside a shipment of fresh pineapples that had arrived in Georgia by boat from Colombia.

Spanish investigators last April discovered nine tonnes of cocaine estimated to be worth more than €285 million (£312.7 million) among hundreds of boxes of bananas on a shipping container that arrived from Colombia at Algeciras port.

Continue Reading

Articles

US police use sophisticated cryptocurrency tracing techniques to smash world’s largest dark web paedophile film network

Published

on

world’s largest dark web paedophile film network

US prosecutors have charged a South Korean man with running the world’s largest dark web distribution network for indecent images of children, according to a statement from the US Department of Justice (DoJ).

Jong Woo Son, 23, has also been charged and convicted in South Korea, where he is currently serving jail time for the crimes of which he stands accused in the US.

The Welcome to Video website, which is reported to have hosted more than 250,000 indecent videos featuring minors that users had downloaded more than one million times, charged paedophiles for access to abuse material using cryptocurrency Bitcoin.

Despite Son’s concerted efforts to avoid being discovered by law enforcement authorities, investigators were able to trace the server he used to host the site through sophisticated cryptocurrency tracking techniques.

An additional 337 site users were arrested across the US as well as in country’s including the UK, South Korea, Germany, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the Czech Republic, Canada, Ireland, Spain, Brazil and Australia.

As well as the arrest of users of the site, the operation to close down the three-year old paedophile film network also led to the rescue of least 23 child victims of abuse in the US, Spain and the UK.

Son was arrested in March last year in South Korea in an operation that resulted in the seizure some eight terabytes of child sexual exploitation material, which the DoJ said was one of the largest such discoveries of its kind.

Specialists at the US National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) examined the material and found the site contained over 250,000 unique videos, 45% of which featured new images that had not been previously known to exist.

The website offered access to this content in exchange for payment in Bitcoin.

Analysis of the server that hosted Welcome to Video revealed that the site had more than one million Bitcoin addresses, suggesting it had the capacity for at least one million users.

Commenting on the shutdown of the site, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Acting Executive Associate Director Alysa Erichs said: “Children are our most vulnerable population, and crimes such as these are unthinkable.

“Sadly, advances in technology have enabled child predators to hide behind the dark web and cryptocurrency to further their criminal activity.

“However, today’s indictment sends a strong message to criminals that no matter how sophisticated the technology or how widespread the network, child exploitation will not be tolerated in the United States.

“Our entire justice system will stop at nothing to prevent these heinous crimes, safeguard our children, and bring justice to all.”

Continue Reading

Articles

Two men charged with poaching offences after investigators in Florida seize 600 turtles

Published

on

investigators in Florida seize 600 turtles

Authorities in Florida have charged two men suspected of illegally selling more than 4,000 turtles over on six-month period with poaching offences.

The suspects were arrested after officers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) were handed intelligence in February last year that a ring of wildlife traffickers was poaching native species of turtle before selling them to reptile dealers and illegal distributors.

The animals would then be shipped overseas to be sold on the black market.

During a raid that led to the men’s arrest, FWC investigators seized more than 600 live turtles, as well as the skull and shell of a Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle, which is an endangered species.

The FWC said the species the men stand accused of poaching and selling include Florida box turtles, Eastern box turtles, striped mud turtles, Florida mud turtles, chicken turtles, Florida softshell turtles, Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, spotted turtles and diamondback terrapins.

The turtles seized during the operation, which had an estimated black-market value of $200,000, were returned to their natural environment, with almost 300 becoming part of a long-term monitoring project led by the Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation.

In a statement on its website, the FWC said the turtles the men sold were offered for a wholesale price of $300 each, but could fetch as much as $10,000 on the Asian black market.

Over the course of just one month, the men are thought to have sold turtles estimated to be worth some $60,000.

Dr Craig Stanford, Chairman of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature’s Tortoise and Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group, said: “We know that the global black market in live animals includes traffickers smuggling protected species of turtles out of the United States, usually for export to the Asian pet market.

“This sinister and illegal trade threatens the future of many species of North American animals, and as one of the most threatened animal groups on the planet, turtles are at the forefront of our concern.”

In July of last year, a US court fined two Chinese flight attendants $5,500 each and ordered them to leave America within 72 hours after they were found guilty of attempting to smuggle dozens of spotted and box turtles in carry-on luggage from Los Angeles to China.

The China Eastern Airlines cabin crew members were arrested while passing through Los Angeles International Airport after border guards found 31 live spotted turtles and 14 live box turtles hidden inside pillowcases and plastic bags in their luggage.

Continue Reading

Newsletter

Sign up for our mailing list to receive updates and information on events

Social Widget

Latest articles

Press review

Follow us on Twitter

Trending

Shares