Speaking with the Thomson Reuters Foundation, Airbnb’s Global Head of Trust and Risk Management has said the short-term property-letting website has teamed up with US anti-trafficking charity Polaris in a bid to prevent the service being used by human traffickers who sexually exploit vulnerable women and girls.
Nick Shapiro said Airbnb will work with Polaris to stop its properties being used as “pop-up brothels”, and train its staff on how to spot the signs of modern slavery and human trafficking.
“We’re taking a modern approach to combating modern slavery by leveraging the innovation of the sharing economy to better spot and stop potential exploitation ahead of time,” Shapiro said.
“Exploitation and trafficking are still all too common in today’s society, but we are eager to use our global reach to help assist in the effort to end it once and for all.”
Police in the UK have warned that traffickers and prostitutes are increasingly using short-term property rentals as temporary bases from which to sell sexual services, and that many are using platforms such as Airbnb to secure accommodation.
Pop-up brothels are typically closed down by the criminals who run them within weeks if not days to prevent police from raiding them.
Last week, officials in the UK city of Oxford urged the British government to better regulate the short-term rentals market after seeing an increase in the number of pop-up brothels appearing in the region.
“We know of short-term lets in Oxford being used as ‘pop-up’ brothels associated with sex trafficking, and reports of parties with up to 100 guests suddenly appearing in residential areas,” Councillor Alex Hollingsworth said.
“The original idea of short-term lets was to rent out unused rooms, or houses that were empty because the owners were on holiday themselves, for a few days at a time.
“What we now see in Oxford, like other cities, is properties essentially being used as hotels or guest-houses, but without any of the regulation and safety checks that hotels and guest houses undertake.”
Many women forced into the sex trade in the UK are trafficked into the country from Eastern Europe, often having been conned into travelling having falsey been promised well-paid work and a better life.
Once they arrive, they are often stripped of their travel documents, and made to sell themselves to multiple clients a day in different brothels around the country.
In July last year, a Romanian couple admitted operating a number of pop-up brothels in and around the city of Manchester, where they employed Eastern European women as prostitutes.
Alexe Popa and Gabriela Diac ran four pop-up brothels across the city, Manchester Crown Court heard.
Scammers the world over are exploiting public fears over the coronavirus outbreak
Scammers across the globe are looking to profit from public fears over the coronavirus outbreak, with reports across the world highlighting how fraudsters seek to profit from the panic created by major disease outbreaks.
On Wednesday, Kyodo News reported that authorities in China have seized more than 31 million counterfeit or substandard face masks as members of the public clamour for such products amid a countrywide shortage.
China’s Ministry of Public Safety said police in the country have dealt with 688 cases involving the manufacture and sale of fake and substandard protective materials, arresting over 1,560 people while doing so.
China’s state-backed Xinhua news agency quotes the ministry as saying that as of Monday, law enforcement officers across the country had dealt with some 22,000 criminal cases related to the coronavirus outbreak.
Addressing a press conference in Beijing today, Vice Minister Du Hangwei revealed that a total of 4,260 suspects have been detained in relation to these alleged offences.
On Sunday, the UK’s People newspaper revealed that phishing scammers are sending elderly and vulnerable British citizens emails that purport to be from the country’s National Health Service in which they demand a payment of £169.99 ($216) for access to “rapid and effective treatment” for the disease.
Elsewhere, Business Insider reports that Facebook has announced that it will take down bogus adverts that guarantee a cure, create a sense of urgency or otherwise attempt to profit from the virus.
In a statement, the company said: “In the weeks after the World Health Organisation’s declared a public health emergency, Facebook is working to support their work in multiple ways, including taking steps to stop ads for products that refer to the coronavirus and create a sense of urgency, like implying a limited supply, or guaranteeing a cure or prevention.
“For example, ads with claims like face masks are 100% guaranteed to prevent the spread of the virus will not be allowed.”
In January, NutraIngredients-USA revealed that the US Natural Products Association (NPA) had asked federal authorities to monitor dietary supplement companies that claim their products can be used to treat the coronavirus.
NPA President and CEO Daniel Fabricant commented: “We have been in touch with some of the ecommerce organisations.
“We are urging them to take a look at how marketers that sell on their sites are tagging products.”
Earlier in February, the US Federal Tarde Commission warned that fraudsters are seeking to take advantage of fears surrounding the disease by setting up websites to sell bogus products.
Petition calling for Pornhub to be closed down for hosting videos of sex trafficking victims and children passes 300,000 signatures
A petition on Change.org calling for adult website Pornhub to be closed down after it hosted videos featuring sex trafficking victims and child sexual exploitation has attracted more than 300,000 signatures.
Launched by US women’s rights group Exodus Cry, which works to end commercial sexual exploitation, the petition labels Pornhub a “super-predator”, and calls for the website’s executives to be held to account.
The petition cites the case of the mother of a missing 15-year-old girl who discovered that videos featuring the rape and sexual assault of her daughter had been uploaded to Pornhub.
The girl’s trafficker, Christopher Johnson, who can be seen in the films raping the teenager, was arrested in Florida when police matched his appearance in some of the videos and linked it with 7-11 CCTV footage.
In its petition description, Exodus Cry also highlights the case of the owners of adult websites GirlsDoPorn and GirlsDoToys, who were charged with sex trafficking offences after they allegedly tricked young woman into appearing in pornographic films that were uploaded to Pornhub.
Last month, a judge in San Diego awarded nearly $13 million to 22 women who said they were tricked into performing in adult films by GirlsDoPorn owners Michael James Pratt and Matthew Isaac Wolfe.
Noting that one of the most-searched terms on Pornhub is “teen” pornography, Exodus Cry writes in its petition description: “Pornhub is complicit in the trafficking of these women and minors and probably thousands more like them.
“Pornhub is generating millions in advertising and membership revenue with 42 billion visits and six million videos uploaded per year.
“Yet it has no system in place to verify reliably the age or consent of those featured in the pornographic content it hosts and profits from.”
In a statement issued to the UK’s Daily Star, a Pornhub spokesperson said: “In the cases of Christopher Johnson and GirlsDoPorn, the unauthorised, illegal videos were removed from our platform as soon as we were made aware of them, and Pornhub has been assisting law enforcement and legal counsel with both of these investigations.”
Earlier this month, the BBC reported on the story of a woman who was forced to contact Pornhub after it hosted a video of her being raped when she was aged just 14.
Noting that videos of the attack had been posted on the website with titles such as “teen crying and getting slapped around”, Rose Kalemba explained how she emailed the company several times over a period of six months in 2009 to ask for the videos to be taken down, making clear that they depicted het being assaulted as a minor.
The videos were only removed when Kalemba contacted Pornhub posing as a lawyer.
UK ticket touts who fleeced Harry Potter and Ed Sheeran fans caged for six and a half years
Two British ticket touts who made millions of pounds by ripping off fans of Harry Potter, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift were yesterday jailed for a total of six and a half years following a trial at Leeds Crown Court.
Peter Hunter, 51, was handed a four-year jail term while David Thomas Smith, 66, was sentenced to 30 months behind bars after the pair were found guilty of fraudulently and dishonestly buying and reselling tickets for high-profile music and entertainment events.
Hunter and Smith are said to have raked in at least £11 million ($14.1 million) while running their BZZ Limited company, through which they purchased and sold on hundreds of tickets at hugely inflated prices to fans desperate to see their favourite artists and shows.
The pair, who were found guilty of committing their offences between 2010 and 2017, brought in a net profit of £3.5 million over the final 32 months of their fraud alone.
As well as selling customers overpriced and sometimes invalid tickets, the court found the men had also prevented thousands of people from getting hold of tickets at face value by buying up huge quantities to sell on at a massive profit.
Both men were found guilty of three counts of fraudulent trading and one of possession or control of an article for use in fraud.
A National Trading Standards investigation into Hunter and Smith revealed the pair used a number of dishonest and fraudulent tactics in order to purchase large quantities of tickets from primary ticket providers such as Ticketmaster, Eventim and AXS.
Speaking after sentencing, Lord Toby Harris, Chair of the UK’s National Trading Standards organisation, commented: “This is an important milestone in the fight to tackle online ticket touts who fraudulently buy and resell tickets to thousands of victims to line their own pockets.
“Today’s sentences send a strong message to similar online ticket touts: these are criminal offences that can lead to prison sentences.
“I hope this leads to a step-change in the secondary ticketing market, making it easier and safer for consumers buying tickets in the future.”
In June of last year, Britain’s national fraud reporting centre Action Fraud launched an awareness-raising campaign in which it appealed to music and sports fans to be on their guard against unauthorised ticket sellers ahead of the busy summer period.
The agency said it had received 4,755 reports of ticket fraud in the 13 months to the end of April last year, noting that victims across the UK had lost more than £1.6 million to ticket scammers over that time.
- Scammers the world over are exploiting public fears over the coronavirus outbreak
- Petition calling for Pornhub to be closed down for hosting videos of sex trafficking victims and children passes 300,000 signatures
- UK ticket touts who fleeced Harry Potter and Ed Sheeran fans caged for six and a half years
- How America’s methamphetamine crackdown enriched Mexican drug cartels and made the country’s problem with the drug worse
- Airbnb expands anti-human trafficking partnership with US NGO Polaris
9 February 2018
9 February 2018
8 February 2018
28 November 2017
28 November 2017
Follow us on Twitter
Articles4 weeks ago
Italian government teams up with Interpol to launch crackdown on ‘Ndrangheta mafia clan
Articles4 weeks ago
Belgian, French and Israeli police smash cryptocurrency investment scam network
Articles4 weeks ago
AlphaBay admin facing 20 years in US jail after admitting role in running site
Opinion4 weeks ago
How virtual credit card skimmers successfully target blue-chip firms that should have the resources to repel their attacks
Articles4 weeks ago
US city of Seattle funds 700 naloxone kits to prevent fatal fentanyl overdoses
Articles3 weeks ago
Police arrest 26 members of gang that smuggled 900 African migrants into Spain by speedboat
Articles3 weeks ago
UK police target ruthless ‘courier fraud’ gangs that fleece the old and vulnerable
Articles2 weeks ago
Gibraltar and Japan Tobacco International agree to tackle smuggling of firm’s cigarette and rolling tobacco brands