Connect with us

Articles

Senior Canadian police official warns of growing threat from dark web gun dealers

Published

on

dark web gun dealers

Canadians are using cryptocurrencies to buy illicit firearms from gun dealers on the dark web, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has warned.

Speaking after tens of thousands of young people marched across North America and in major cities around the rest of the world on Saturday to demand an end to gun violence, Rob O’Reilly, Interim Director Of Firearms Regulatory Services at the RCMP, said the availability of deadly weapons on hidden illicit marketplaces is posing major challenges to Canadian law enforcement services.

Discussing the emerging threat at a national conference on gangs and firearms as Canada’s government prepares to tighten its own gun control laws, O’Reilly cautioned that while police have had some success in closing down dark web marketplaces such as the original Silk Road, Hansa and AlphaBay, others soon pop up to take their place.

Illustrating his point, O’Reilly noted how the Berlusconi dark web marketplace featured 234 listings for weapons at the last count, including AR-15 rifles, AK-47s, various handguns and countless rounds of ammunition.

In comments made at the event, O’Reilly said: “Dark net vendors resort to very ingenious means to ship firearms and related components.

“In the dark net community, this is known as stealth shipping, and the intent is to disguise or hide the actual contents from law enforcement and border services.

“We’ve even seen rifles shipped behind flat-screen televisions.”

He added that cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin are a major driver of the illicit trade in firearms on the dark web, due to the fact that law enforcement agencies find it incredibly difficult to trace transactions made with virtual money.

Noting how variations in regional laws can mean that some gun parts and accessories are outlawed in one territory and legal elsewhere, O’Reilly said: “This challenge has existed for some time in regards to our neighbours to the south, however it is compounded in a borderless online market that is truly international.

“Once imported to Canada, these components can be easily finished and assembled through online tutorials, the results of which are often completely untraceable firearms, sometimes known as ghost guns.”

Police in the UK warned last year that gun smugglers were sending firearm components through the European postal system separately, allowing buyers to assemble weapons after receiving all the constituent parts.

Last week, Reddit announced that it was banning communities dedicated to the sale of firearms, and that it was taking down a “subreddit” that focussed on trading on dark web marketplaces.

In a forum post, Reddit said: “We have made a new addition to our content policy forbidding transactions for certain goods and services. As of today, users may not use Reddit to solicit or facilitate any transaction or gift involving certain goods and services.”

Continue Reading

Articles

Europol and Eurojust help EU law enforcement agencies dismantle two organised immigration crime networks

Published

on

two organised immigration crime networks

Police from Italy and Greece have smashed an organised immigration crime network that used leisure boats and pleasure craft to smuggle migrants across the Adriatic Sea.

In the culmination of an operation that was backed by EU law enforcement agencies Europol and Eurojust, investigators from both countries participated in a day of action that involved raids on 13 properties and the arrest of eight suspects of Greek, Italian and Middle Eastern nationality.

The organised immigration crime gang behind the smuggling conspiracy, which is said to have been active since 2018, was allegedly responsible for trafficking some 150 migrants from the west of Greece via the Strait of Corfu to the southern Italian coast between Otranto and Lecce.

Members of the gang were charging migrants as much as €6,000 ($6,666) per person for the 12-hour journey across the sea, which would sometimes be completed in leisure boats as small as ten metres long.

The gang reportedly smuggled migrants as young as 13.

In a statement, Vice-President of Eurojust Filippo Spiezia said: “Tackling migrant smuggling is one of the priorities for Eurojust to enable a good coordination of actions, as we have been able to do in this case.

“At a time when Greece faces a strong migratory pressure, we have to combine efforts and as EU agencies support the effort of national authorities to combat criminal organisations that exploit migrants.”

In a separate operation, Europol and Eurojust helped French and Italian authorities break up another organised immigration crime gang that trafficked migrants from Bangladesh, India and Pakistan from Italy to other EU member states.

Ten Pakistani nationals were arrested in Italy and one in France as part of a day of action carried by investigators from both countries.

This network, which is thought to have been operational for two years, used dilapidated vans to smuggle migrants from Italy to countries across western Europe.

At the end of last month, the European Union pledged €147.7 million to support four projects addressing issues related to migration in North Africa.

The money will be used to help Morocco deal with organised immigration crime and irregular migration and improve the living conditions in Libyan communities and protect refugees and vulnerable migrants stranded in Libya through voluntary returns.

The European Commission said the cash would also be used to offer opportunities for labour migration and mobility in North Africa.

EU Commissioner for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Olivér Várhelyi said in a statement: “With this new package we are deepening our partnership with Morocco to further reduce irregular arrivals on the Western Mediterranean route and prevent people risking their lives.”

Continue Reading

Articles

Major US hotel chains sued for failing to prevent sex trafficking in their rooms for decades

Published

on

US lawyers are suing 12 major hotel chains on behalf of women who claim the firms have profited from allowing sex trafficking and prostitution to take place in their properties.

In total, 13 women have accused hotel brands including Best Western and Hilton of failing to prevent sex trafficking from taking place in their rooms, alleging that the companies have made money from trafficked women and children being sexually exploited.

New York law firm Weitz & Luxenberg has filed litigation in a federal court in Columbus, Ohio, that brings together 13 separate lawsuits relating to hotels in a number of US cities, marking the first time the hospitality industry has faced such action.

Accusing the hotel firms of benefitting financially from the trafficking of women and children and “providing a marketplace for sex trafficking”, the suit alleges the companies have allowed sex trafficking to take place across their businesses for decades, and says it is time that they were held accountable for allowing the illicit trade to continue unchecked.

KOIN 6 News reports that one woman who claims she was forced by a pimp to sleep with as many as seven men every night is talking legal action against six hotel firms for the role they played in her abuse.

She is seeking $10 million in damages.

“Rather than taking timely and effective measures to thwart this epidemic, defendant hotels have instead chosen to ignore the open and obvious presence of sex trafficking on their properties, enjoying the profit from rooms rented for this explicit and apparent purpose,” the suit reads.

In a statement, Hilton Worldwide Holdings said: “Hilton condemns all forms of human trafficking, including for sexual exploitation. As signatories of the ECPAT [formerly End Child Prostitution and Trafficking] Code since 2011, we are fully committed, in each and every one of our markets, to protecting individuals from all forms of abuse and exploitation.”

Wyndham Hotels & Resorts said: “We condemn human trafficking in any form.”

Back in January, Marriott announced that it had provided 500,000 of its staff members with training on how to spot the signs that a guest might be a victim of human trafficking, and what they should do in the event they are faced with such a scenario.

Speaking at the time, David Rodriguez, Chief Global Human Resources Officer at Marriott International, said: “Hotels can unfortunately be unwilling venues for this unconscionable crime – and as a global hotel company that cares about human rights, we’re proud to be training hotel workers across the Marriott system to spot the signs.”

Continue Reading

Articles

UK charities warned to look out for social engineering spear phishing emails

Published

on

social engineering spear phishing emails

The UK’s Charity Commission has warned that scammers are impersonating charity workers via email and attempting to change employees’ bank details.

After receiving several reports of spear phishing campaigns targeting people who work at charitable organisations, the commission cautioned that fraudsters are using spoofed email addresses to pose as staff with authority to update employees’ banking information.

The fraudsters behind the social engineering scam typically write in their emails that they have changed their bank details or opened a new account.

Alan Bryce, head of development, counter fraud and cyber crime at the commission, said: “We know several charities have been targeted by this fraud and we want to ensure others are equipped to protect themselves.

“So, our message to charities is clear: read and understand our guidance on fraud, and check who’s sending an email whenever you receive a message about changes to staff bank details.”

In advice on how charities can protect themselves, the commission said organisations should review internal procedures regarding how employee details are amended and approved, and train staff not to click on links or open attachments in suspicious emails.

A report published by the commission to coincide with the UK’s Charity Fraud Awareness Week, which took place in October, revealed that over half of fraud carried out against charities is committed by perpetrators known to the organisation affected.

The study found that while over two-thirds of UK charities consider fraud to be a major risk, less than 9% offer fraud awareness training to their staff members.

More than half (58%) of charitable organisations surveyed for the study said they believe cyber crime poses a major threat to the sector.

In a separate report also published in October, the commission and the UK Fraud Advisory Panel revealed that one in every six major organisations that make up Britain’s £80 billion ($105.4 million). charity sector will be affected by cyber crime over the course of the next two years.

Twenty-two percent of charities said they believe that cyber crime is a greater risk to the sector than any other threat, with larger charities typically being more likely to appreciate the risk of cyber crime.

“This may be because larger charities generally have a greater capability to detect cyber crime,” the report concluded.

“Many small and medium sized charities are less aware of the cyber crime threat, yet are probably more at risk.”

Continue Reading

Newsletter

Sign up for our mailing list to receive updates and information on events

Social Widget

Latest articles

Press review

Follow us on Twitter

Trending

Shares