A new firearms amnesty has been launched by police in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW).
The campaign, which was unveiled today by NSW Police Force and will be run with the support of the NSW Government, is intended to build on the success of a nationwide gun amnesty that took place across the country last year.
During that three-month campaign, police in NSW took nearly 25,000 firearms and close to 1,900 gun components off the street.
Across the whole of the country, the national gun amnesty resulted in more than 57,000 firearms, weapons and units of ammunition being handed in.
Last year’s campaign was launched after police said illegal guns had been involved in a number of attempted terrorist attacks across the country.
Speaking at the end of the amnesty, officials said the campaign had helped keep unregistered firearms off the street, where they may have fallen into the wrong hands.
Anybody who wants to use the new amnesty as an opportunity to dispose of firearms or firearm-related products or parts that might be held illegally without the risk of facing a penalty can surrender their items at approved drop-off points, which include licensed firearms dealers, mobile stations, and police stations.
In a statement, NSW Police Force stressed that under no circumstances should loaded weapons be taken into public places, including police stations.
Noting that members of the local community appear to be keen to dispose of their unwanted firearms without facing punishment, Deputy Commissioner Metropolitan Field Operations Jeff Loy said: “In 2017, we had nearly 8,000 firearms surrendered for destruction – including 951 handguns and 5,558 shotguns – with about 15,000 handed in for registration and 2,100 handed in for sale.
“This is another opportunity for people to get rid of any firearm or firearm parts without the fear of prosecution.”
Highlighting how firearms theft has become a major concern for NSW Police, particularly in regional areas, Deputy Commissioner Regional NSW Field Operations Gary Worboys said in a statement: “We are working hard to address the issue of firearm theft and it’s important we all work together and have the support of licensed firearm owners to make sure people who own guns keep them stored safely and securely.
“Every firearm captured in the amnesty is one we previously knew nothing about and risked falling into the hands of criminal gangs or organised crime syndicates.”
‘Golden Triangle’ countries must work together to stamp out growing meth production, UN urges
The United Nations has warned that organised criminal networks operating in Asia’s Mekong region have boosted their production and trafficking of methamphetamine to “alarming levels”.
Senior drug policy officials from Cambodia, China, Lao, Burma, Thailand and Vietnam yesterday attended a UN-backed regional conference on the issue, where delegates heard how the groups are extending their illegal trade into countries including Australia, Japan and New Zealand.
At the conference, which opened in Burmese capital Nay Pyi Taw on Monday, officials were told that while production of heroin and opium in the region had fallen recently, organised crime gangs have hiked their production and distribution of both low grade yaba methamphetamine, and high-purity crystal methamphetamine.
The UN told officials from “Golden Triangle” countries they must work closely together to crack down on the record amounts of both drugs that are being produced in and exported out of the region, and take action against the crooked law enforcement agents and customs officers who allow the illicit trade to thrive.
UN officials said the region’s heroin and methamphetamine market is worth an estimated $40 billion a year, and noted that a number of Mekong countries have already surpassed the total number of drug seizures they made during the whole of last year, despite being less than hallway through 2018.
Organised crime groups in the region are thought to have boosted drug production in illicit laboratories in locations such as Burma’s conflict-ridden Shan State, with a view to shipping their product to new markets with the help of corrupt officials.
Addressing the conference, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Regional Representative Jeremy Douglas said: “Responding to the situation requires acknowledging some difficult realities, and agreeing to new approaches at a strategic regional level.
“Here in Myanmar it means focusing on peace and security in the Golden Triangle and places where conflict and the drug economy are connected.
“Ensuring governance and the rule of law will be crucial to any long-term reduction in drug production and trafficking.
“To be candid, it also means addressing the corruption, conditions and vulnerabilities that allow organised crime to keep expanding operations and exploiting the region.”
In April, a Vietnamese national who attempted to smuggle methamphetamine worth an estimated NZ$11.6 million ($8.53 million) into New Zealand concealed inside a home drinking water system was jailed for 10 years.
Than Qui Phan, 25, was told he must serve a minimum of four years after he admitted smuggling multiple packages of methamphetamine into the country.
Back in October of last year, Australian law enforcement agents seized nearly four tonnes of a precursor ingredient used to make methamphetamine which had been concealed in green tea bottles imported into the country from Thailand.
Social media firms must ban ‘drill’ rap videos to prevent gun and knife crime in London, police chief warns
Speaking with Nick Ferrari on his show on Britain’s LBC radio station yesterday morning, London’s most-senior police officer called on social media companies to remove drill music rap videos from their networks to help reduce gang crime across the British capital.
Discussing a huge rise in gang-related firearm and knife crime in the UK that earlier this year saw London’s murder rate surpass New York’s, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said there is a legal and ethical obligation on firms such as YouTube and Twitter to remove videos that glamorise violence and include death threats.
“I am working closely with social media companies to get them to think about what they can do about this,” she said.
“For us, if it’s against the law, it’s against the law and should be taken down. If it is inciting or glamorising violence, then we think they have a social responsibility to work with us to take those videos down.”
Dick also warned middle class recreational drug users they cannot escape the fact that their consumption of illegal substances is inextricably linked to a surge in violence that has seen dozens of young men lose their lives across London this year.
The Commissioner was speaking after two young men who had appeared on popular rap DJ Tim Westwood’s YouTube channel were jailed for murdering a filmmaker.
The Old Bailey heard how Devone Pusey, 20, and Kai Stewart, 18, knifed Dean Pascal-Modeste, 22, to death after making threats on drill rap videos.
Remanding both men in custody earlier this month ahead of sentencing, Judge Nicholas Cooke, QC, said :”This is yet another dreadful example of London’s knife crime, gangs interested in using violence solely because someone comes from a different district or post code.
“Such violence is often fuelled by musical taunts online, posted on YouTube or other social media outlets.”
Drill music videos typically feature gangs of young men lurking around inner-city estates, boasting about selling drugs and their easy access to – and regular use of – lethal weapons, including guns and knives.
The videos routinely feature gang members firing off violent threats to their rivals while making shooting and stabbing gestures with their hands.
Earlier this month, another drill rapper who had appeared on Westwood’s YouTube channel was shot dead on the streets of the UK capital.
Seventeen-year-old Rhyiem Ainsworth Barton became the 15th teenager to be killed in London since Christmas.
People smugglers identified during Interpol operation in South Asia
An Interpol-led operation has resulted in the identification of a number of suspected human traffickers in South Asia.
The coordinated effort, dubbed Operation Mandala, involved officials carrying out checks on travellers at five international airports and one land border point in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
Close to 500,000 people had their personal details checked against Interpol’s nominal and Stolen Lost Travel Document (SLTD) databases during the initiative, resulting in multiple positive “hits”.
A number of individuals subject to Interpol Red and Blue Notices were identified during the checks, as were several travel documents registered on the SLTD database.
Two suspected people smugglers thought to have been operational in the region were identified, as was a Sri Lankan national who had been made the subject of a Red Notice from the United Arab Emirates for misappropriation of funds.
Mahbubur Rahman, Deputy Inspector General for Operations and Head of the National Central Bureau in Dhaka, said in a statement: “The operation has helped enhance the efficiency of immigration officers in Bangladesh in screening travel documents and following up on potential hits.
“We appreciate the support of Interpol in securing our country’s borders and will be extending this application to additional border points in the future.”
The effort formed part of Interpol’s Project Relay, a Canadian-funded crackdown on people smugglers active in South Asia that includes the provision of training for local law enforcement agents, and aims to improve systems and offer technical equipment and support.
Earlier this week, Interpol announced that its global databases, including the SLTD bank, are playing an increasingly key role in helping European law enforcement authorities enhance security and safety.
Since 2014, European use of SLTD data has increased by more than 200% – with a 600% growth in the Schengen zone alone, attendees at the 46th Interpol European Regional Conference in Dublin were told.
Charles Flanagan, Ireland’s Minister for Justice and Equality, commented: “The work of Interpol over the past almost 100 years epitomizes the value of police services across the world working together.
“Thanks to the excellent cooperation fostered by Interpol, police officers here in Ireland and across the world are provided with invaluable support in their efforts to protect citizens from terrorism and crime in all its many forms.
“The global network of Interpol National Bureaus that operate around the clock handling enquiries plays a vital role in this and I’d like to pay tribute to the Irish Interpol National Central Bureau based in Garda Headquarters for its contribution to this network, and also to the members of An Garda Síochána who have served in INTERPOL’s General Secretariat Headquarters in Lyon over the years.”
Drug Trafficking6 days ago
Analysis: Washington’s War on Opium
Articles2 weeks ago
Italian police dismantle people smuggling network that funded jihadis in Syria
Articles6 days ago
British Medical Journal calls for legalisation, regulation and taxation of illicit drugs
Articles1 week ago
Drug users prefer heroin at home, and cocaine while out, study finds
Articles1 week ago
The UN must be given powers to break the link between terrorism and organised crime
Articles3 weeks ago
British investigators smash illicit prescription drug empire
Articles2 weeks ago
UN calls on member states to break link between terrorism and organised crime
Articles2 weeks ago
Australia announces wide-ranging crackdown on illicit tobacco trade